Thursday, December 2, 2010

Project: Magazine Christmas Trees!



This project is fun, easy, CHEAP, and simple enough to do with your kids!

Ok, ladies (or guys)... I KNOW you have a stash of magazines laying around somewhere... and you can now put them to use. This is usually a Christmas decoration... but I can't help but think how cute they would look all year 'round in different colors. I found this project on Martha Stewart... it's a classic, traditional project people have done for decades, but Martha had never done one! I thought that was amazing, personally. lol Because I've been pressed for time lately, I'm blogging this somewhat unfinished. I plan to make several more, and completely finish the little details, but for now this will do. : ) (Also, I didn't have glitter... so sad.). I'm going to go through step by step (I did mine a little different), but here is the original video, explaining how to do it. The original didn't include feathers or sprigs, BUT I think it adds something special... ok, let's start.


Start by breaking the spine of the magazine. Don't be too rough, because you don't want the pages tearing away from the spine.

Keep the cover and back on the magaine. Start with the cover, taking the top right corner and folding it down to the left towards the spine, as the picture shows.

Then, take that piece and fold it once more towards the spine.

What you have left should somewhat resemble a tie.

Do this with every page of the magaine. Little magazines, tall magazines, and everything in between will work great with this project, because they create all different size trees.Once you've applied step one to every page you will see the "bottom of the tie" forms a little triangle. Flip the "tie" over, and fold the triangle up to form a
straigt line on the bottom. Once you've done this with each page, the object will stand up flat and straight, and the shape of the tree will be completed.  

Next, spray paint the tree whatever color you choose. Find some sprigs from an evergreen tree, and spray paint those as well. Both will need multiple coats. Make sure you let each coat dry completely. Once you've painted the tree, if you desire to put glitter on, you can either sprinkle it on when the paint is still wet, or once the paint is dry, you can spray adhesive on and sprinkle the glitter on that way.

Then, attach the sprigs to the tree with hot glue, and aff some feathers on the bottom so they stick out and cause a soft, snowy effect, and use for a table centerpiece, or Christmas decoration. Make a few trees with you children and give them as gifts! These really turn out wonderful, and I am adoring mine set up on the television stand surrounded by candles! Enjoy!

:::SLL:::


4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed making my magazine Christmas tree with you darling. It's a blessing to have a wife with so much wonderful creative talent. You're amazing. Love you, love me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Husband, thank you for your comment and your never-ending support. I loved having you there making these decorations with me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So these would be awesome in bright pink and orange and yellow for the summer time-with those little birds glued on them at the base...or maybe little berry-sprigs...I've seen those at craft stores. This project can be used in all seasons!

    Question: Does the spray paint wilt the pages at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They would look great in all seasons! No, the spray paint does not wilt the pages... I was surprise at that though... HAPPILY surprised! : ) They do need a couple of coats, but it seems the more you spray them, the tougher the pages get. Thanks for the comment, twin. <3

    ReplyDelete