Friday, December 3, 2010

Project: DIY birch branch candle holder



I'm not going to lie... I think this craft is fabulous. I have just been stopping to stare at mine because I love it so much! I hope you love it as well.

To make this craft, you only need a few things that most everyone has in their house ( or outside) already.

-cardboard-
 (or you can use paper towel or toilet paper rolls)

-a working printer-

-candles in holders-

-evergreen firs-

-scissors and an exacto knife-
 (if you don't have an exacto knife you can use the scissors or a regular steak knife but it will make the job more tricky and a little bit dangerous!)

-a stapler-
 (could be replaced with hot glue if you don't have a stapler)

One great thing about this project is that it is customizable. You can easily make the birch branch candle holder any size you want, as well as altering the size of the cut outs if you have big or small candles.

Let me show you how to do it! (It's super easy, really...)

1. Gather together all your supplies, including the birch paper. What birch paper you ask? Go online (I'm assuming you have the internet since you are reading my blog : ) and find FREE clip art birch paper pattern. Any pattern you like. (Don't want birch? You could just use a typical tree branch pattern as well.) Print that off on regular computer paper.


Take your cardboard, and cut out a piece about 7.5 x 10 inches, making sure that the cardboard is 2. aligned with the ribbing on it. Essentially, you want the ribbing to go with the length of the final object. Also, make sure the cardboard is cut so it is a bit smaller than the birch paper dimensions. Bend and loosen each rib of the cardboard so you can easily roll it. Once you roll it, overlap one edge onto the other about an inch and staple. This allows for a flat base on the bottom so it doesn't roll.



3. Lay the cardboard flat, and line up the candles in front. I chose to use three standard size votive candles in holders (you can get a pack of 12 candles at the dollar store, as well as a pack of 12 votive holders). Once I lined them up where I want them to sit in the cardboard holder, I marked lines on the top of the cardboard and then later placed the votive holders over the lines and traced a circle. I did this for all three candles, and then used an exacto knife to cut out the wholes. Don't worry about being neat and tidy! If you accidentally cut a little deep no worries. The imperfections will be covered with the birch paper. (Note: this entire step can be done however you choose. If it is easier for you to take measurements and use a ruler to mark where to cut the holes, then that is just fine. For me, I don't mind imperfections or having the holes a few millimeters off... it would never be noticeable. )
Now you need to put your candles in the slots allotted for them. Next, take your birch paper,  4.
 position it appropriately on top of the candles so it wraps around to the botton of the cardboard and it where you will want it permanantly in the end. Tape the sides down so the paper stays put. Take a pencil, and trace the ridges of the candles. This can be a little tricky, since you can't see the candles. Just feel and trace. Again, it doesn't need to be perfect.


5. Untape the paper, and trace over the circles you traced when the paper was covering the candles. This just makes the circle a little more circular, and easier to cut nicely. Once you've done that for each hole, wrap the paper around the cardboard and staple it. Now you are ready to put the firs in. Position them wherever you like, especially focusing on covering up any imperfections. Once you've done that, place the candles in their spots, and light them! Your family will see them over the holidays and be surpised they were homeade! Just like my last project, this would make a wonderful gift!



OPTIONAL EXTRAS
-curve the excess paper sticking over the ends to give it a little more of a realistic look-
-add a little silver or white glitter to glam it up-
-before stapling the paper, spray paint the inside white so the brown cardboard doesn't show-


:::SLL:::

3 comments:

  1. Stacey - I thought you needed a comment. I have no time for craftiness, but I do enjoy looking at your masterpieces. I also enjoy listening to The Weepies while I'm doing so. Love the site!

    Love ya,
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caryn, thank you! I have had people comment on my Facebook posts of these blogs, but not actually on my blog. So thanks for one of my first comments!

    Love you too, can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey, this is an awesome craft! Coloring the inside white is a good idea...I'm glad you added that note!

    ReplyDelete