Monday, November 22, 2010

Project: DIY hurricane vases for $2 each!

OKAY,
I'm not sure about you, but I have a serious obsession with hurricane vases. There are so many possibilities for decor when you own these vases, but the problem is they are SO expensive. I was contemplating using these for the centerpieces of my wedding back in August, but even finding them thrift they were running $8-$10 bucks each... not that bad until you consider needing them  for 25 tables. No, thanks. So, for
under $2  each, you can make your own! And don't worry about going out to buy expensive fillers for them... just use what you have around your house.
I used sea shells I collected over time, sand from a craft project, and dried bouquet filler. I wanted to do a fall or Christmas theme, but
this will do for now.

What you need:

-candle holder, vase-
(Take a trip to your local dollar tree and pick up whatever style candle holders and vases you want, making sure the top of the candle holder is flat, and the bottom of the vase is flat)

-gorilla glue-
(I just used a tiny bit, so I suggest getting the little squeeze tube, not the big container, unless you do a lot of crafts. Even still, a little gorilla glue goes a long way)

-text book, game, something heavy-
(make sure it is something that can lay flat)

So, here goes:


Step One:

Flip the vase upside down. Take the candle holder and coat the top (the end the candle would stick into) with glue.



   Step Two:

Immediately turn the glued side upside down and position it in the middle of the bottom face of the vase. Position it as perfectly centered as possible, but if you move it around too many times, I suggest starting over and add more glue.
 

  Step Three:

At this point the entire vase structure should be upside down. Place a heavy book or game on top, balancing it carefully. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes or until dry.

Step Four:

Fill with candles, seashells, sand, or anything else you would like. For Christmas, try filling with pine cones, dried leaves, dried berries, or even ornaments, and surround it with a wreath as your table centerpiece. Then set it up in a place where people will see it, and let the compliments come flooding in!

                                       :::SLL:::

3 comments:

  1. Stacey - what a great idea! I never would have thought of this. I will definitely give this a try. Wonder if hot glue would work instead of gorilla glue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Stace!! I love it! I'm obsessed with candles, candle holders, and anything that can go into candle holders. I def will try this. Of course, mine will look hideous, but I'll just be happy I actually made a craft! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Key Reed, first of all- thank you for the comment! I appreciate it! And yes, hot glue will work, but what I've read is the more you use cleaning/dusting products, soap, water, etc. to clean glass or non-pourus items secured with hot glue, the quicker the hot glue will begin to lose it's strength. Im confident this won't be a problem with the gorilla glue, because I have NEVER been able to get gorilla glue off of ANYTHING! lol Unfortunate then, but when I need something to stick... forever... I am happy for gorilla glue!



    And Heather, um, for one, I love you. I can't wait til you marry my brother... haha. And secondly, you will do just GREAT! They take 2 minutes to make, they are super easy, AND you can get candles and fantastic decorations at the dollar store! 1,2,3 and you're done! <3

    ReplyDelete